There are few things cuter than a micro muffin topped with streusel. It’s like a toddler dressing up in his parents’ closet. Like, “aw, you think you’re all grown up!” Cue mushy talk and squeals.
That’s basically the reaction I had when I pulled these treats out of the oven. I wanted to test out the famed “two-ingredient pumpkin muffin” recipes on Pinterest, but many of them produce lackluster results. If I’m going to consume the calories of a dessert, it’s got to be worth the cals. I’ll put in the extra effort — and ingredients — for something that’s truly delicious, so I realized I wouldn’t be satisfied until I found a version that was every bit as tasty.
The secret? It’s all in the cake mix you choose. Many call for a vanilla or yellow cake, but you need, yes need, a spice cake mix. It has all of the cinnamon-flecked flavor you need. (Without it, vanilla cake mix + pumpkin puree = vaguely baby food-esque snack cakes. That’s why last year’s muffin tops required three ingredients: If you’re using a yellow cake mix, a dash of pumpkin pie spice is key.)
But what really makes these micro muffins incredible is the streusel topping. That gives it the slightly crunchy texture and caramelized brown sugar layer of flavor you’d find in a $4 behemoth bakery muffin. Yet these are in bite-sized form, so they’re freaking adorable, and you can eat as many—or as few—as you’d like to satisfy your cravings. Portion control at its finest. Plus, you get all the glory for creating such a wonder.
That is if you choose to share it with your friends.
- 1 box Spice cake mix
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 ounces)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Blend together the spice cake mix and pumpkin puree until they're just combined. (You can ignore the oil/eggs/etc the box mix typically calls for.) Pour into muffin tin cups, filling each one halfway.
- In a separate bowl, blend the sugar, butter, oats and flour until they form a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle it atop each muffin.
- Cook the muffins for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.