Gooey, melty s’mores are just about the best way to cap off a great night, but when you’re hosting a Halloween party, there are a lot of logistical issues that can prevent you from enjoying the treat (chilly temperatures, lack of access to a sweet bonfire, and most importantly, the fact that many poly-blend-who-knows-what costumes are pretty flammable). Even if you have three faux-firemen and a Smokey the Bear at your party, chances are they won’t be much help if you’re trying to get Batman to stop, drop and roll.
Nobody needs a scare like that on Halloween. Instead, serve this crazy-easy Peeps s’mores dip. All you need is an oven-safe dish, large ramekin or skillet, a handful of chocolate chips, a spoonful of oil, and a bag of Peeps.
It’s as simple as tossing the semisweet chocolate chips in oil, pouring them in the dish, and topping with a layer of Peeps, then cooking it for about 6-7 minutes at 450 degrees. For the full s’mores effect, serve it with graham crackers or cinnamon-sugar chips (after giving it a few minutes to cool, because the dip will be scalding when it comes out of the oven!). I like it best with salted pretzels though, just to offset the super-sugary Peeps.
You could probably make this in the microwave too, melting the chocolate chips first, then topping the dip with marshmallows and microwaving that for about 20 seconds — just enough for the Peeps to puff up, but not so much that they balloon out and explode. They won’t get the slightly toasted top that the oven-baked dip gets, but if you don’t have access to an oven, it’s worth trying.
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 package Peeps (any design you like)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- As it heats, toss the chocolate chips in the oil, and spread onto the bottom of an oven-safe dish. (Make sure the chips cover the entire bottom of the pan; you may need more if you're using a large skillet.)
- Top with a layer of Peeps, covering the chocolate as best you can.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the Peeps have become slightly golden and puffed up slightly. Let the dip cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.