It wouldn’t be the holiday season without at least one invitation to a White Elephant, Secret Santa or Yankee Swap gift exchange. It basically ushers in the season, like watching Ralphie attempt to un-stick his tongue from a flagpole or hearing Yukon Cornelius announce that “Bumbles bounce!” (And if you don’t get those references, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR CHILDHOOD?!)
Whether you’re buying a gift for a specific name you drew out of a hat or just a rando gift an acquaintance (or friend) can unwrap, the shopping process is similar: Wandering stores aimlessly, wondering if you should go (a) funny, (b) cheap or (c) with something you can secretly steal back and claim as your own present. End the internal debate now with these easy ideas.
- Gold metallic temporary tattoos, $12; Amazon
- “Build Your Tomorrow” three-bracelet set, $15; TOMS for Target (The purchase also funds one week’s worth of meals for a person in need!)
- Large cheese pizza (bonus points if you spring for a pretzel-crust or other “hey, I’ve always wanted to try that!” flavor) — A friend brought this to a White Elephant Exchange, and the group went wild. It quickly became THE most popular gift at the party.
- Movie Night In: $10 Redbox gift card + $1 box candy + bag of popcorn
- Yes, Please (or other funny book of your choosing), $14.50; Amazon
- Painting the Universe print, $16; Society6.com
- Jeweled cell phone case, $15; Target (As much as I hate to admit it, there’s a strong chance at least half the people at the party will have an iPhone…and who can resist a little sparkle?!)