Looking for things to do this April? Trying to come up with mini-adventures beyond your classic dinner-movie-repeat weekends? Here are 9 reasons to love this month:
- …Because April Fool’s Day exists — It’s your excuse to get away with any degree of pranking, like serving cupcakes that look like hamburgers, or mini meatloaves that look like cupcakes. Get in on it!
- …Because you can put your Instagram photos on marshmallows. Putting up with selfies just got a whole lot sweeter.
- …Because it was just announced that H&M’s quirky-cool sister label, & Other Stories, is coming to the U.S. #ThisIsWhyYoureBroke
- …Because April 7th is National Coffee Cake Day, so let it be your excuse to make some of the streuseliest, tastiest, most-like-Starbucks-before-they-went-all-Boulangerie coffee cake ever.
- …Because the weather is finally warm enough to grab some gouache paints and some watercolor paper (tip: look for 80-pound paper or higher; that way the pages won’t curl as your masterpiece dries) and practice your landscapes and skylines. Get thee to the park.
- …Because Tax Day means ALL KINDS OF FREE STUFF. It’s basically a day when stores everywhere say, “Oh, remember that fat refund you’re getting? Let this little free trinket inspire you to spend some with us.” But if you’re willing to take advantage of freebies and freebies alone, it can be a scavenger hunt of zero-spending proportions. Some of the (rumored) 2014 Tax Day freebies are: Free small curly fries from Arby’s, free popcorn at AMC, two free cinnamon bites from Cinnabon, a free Hydromassage, $5 bang-bang shrimp from Bonefish Grill, $2 tacos at Tijuana Flats, and a free cookie from Great American Cookie Company. (Double-check with each place before you go.)
- …Because Taco Bell has unleashed a whole new breakfast menu, including a waffle taco. Waffle Taco, people. (Not to mention a Crunch Wrap with hash browns in it!)
- …Because you can take your free YouTube workouts outside. Yoga on the beach? If you’re feeling weird about it, bring a few friends and make it a sunrise workout. What a way to start the day!
- …Because you can put your face on an Easter egg. Then bedeck yourself with rosy cheeks, a flower crown, devil horns, an eye patch, a twirly moustache — whatever your heart desires.
BONUS: Starting April 1, Collegiate Cook is featuring a week of Date Night Recipes! Check back each day of the week for a new recipe that will convince you to skip the fancy restaurant (and save some cash).