Even if the most exotic locale you’re headed for is the heavily chlorinated, plastic-armchair-bedecked campus pool, you can still have a great Memorial Day weekend. Here’s our complete guide to making the most of your three days without classes:
First, the Deals, Discounts and Freebies:
- Chik-fil-A — Click this link to reserve a free spicy chicken sandwich, redeemable from May 31 through June 5. You can really feel like a VIP eating it, because the sandwich won’t officially go on sale until June 7.
- Coldstone — Get 20 percent off anything you buy, except for giftcards. Oh, Birthday Cake Remix, you will be mine.
- IKEA — Get a free small breakfast and free cup of coffee just for stopping by the store on Saturday, Sunday and/or Monday morning.
- Kraft — It may not come in time for your Memorial Day BBQs, but you can fill out this short form to get two free samples of Kraft’s deli-style specialty mayo. (The line has flavors like chipotle and herb-roasted mayo.)
- PacSun — Be one of the first 50 in stores on Saturday morning and score a monster swag bag, which could be filled with anything from headphones and clothes to trips to New York and Australia!
- Sonic Drive-In — Buy one, get one free milkshakes until June 27. Bonus: If you only want one shake, they’ll give you a coupon for a free one on your next visit.
Don’t know what to make this weekend? Don’t worry. We’ve got it all figured out for you.
- Fruit salsa with cinnamon chips — It’s light and refreshing, so it won’t weigh down your guests while they’re snacking poolside.
- No-bake seven-layer Mexican dip — Just keep it a safe distance from the fruit salsa so people don’t unwittingly mix the two. (Although, who knows, the sweet and savory blend could be delicious.)
The main course:
- Mediterranean-style sloppy joe sliders — Feta and a dash of cinnamon provide a Greek twist to the standard sandwich.
- No fuss pulled pork — Let your Crock Pot do all the hard work this weekend, not you. Plus, you can either serve it up in a sandwich, or on a bed of leafy greens in this tasty salad.
- Sides: Basic baked beans, corn on the cob and good ol’ French fries make for great BBQ fare.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough truffles — So decadent, people will never know it took you three ingredients and 20 minutes to make.
- “Alejandro” — Lady Gaga
- “California Gurls” — Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg
- “Don’t Stop Believin'” — Journey (or Glee soundtrack, depending on your style)
- “Billionaire” — Travis McCoy
- “Hey, Soul Sister” — Train
- “Airplanes” — B.o.B. featuring Haley Williams
- “OMG” — Usher
- “Gin and Juice” — Snoop Dogg (Come on, every list needs a couple throwbacks!)
- “First Kiss” — 3Oh!3 and Ke$ha
- “Lollipop” — Framing Hanley
Now it’s time for your input: What are you making this Memorial Day? What songs should be added to our playlist?